The College offers training for the Four-Year Degree programme in Teaching. There are two levels of teacher preparation:
- Early Childhood Education
- Secondary Education
- Geography/ History/Social Studies
- Human Ecology (formerly Home Economics)
- Language Arts (English Language/Literature)
- Mathematics Education
- Modern Languages (French and Spanish)
- Religious Education
- Science and Environmental Education
The teaching approach will be both learner-centered and interactive. It is intended to focus on practice and application and to encourage reflective and analytic classroom strategies leading to a strengthened knowledge base. Students will be helped to take a problem-solving approach to teaching and to use critical judgment in applying principles of teaching and learning. The programme is structured to aid the development of effective citizenship and leadership potential in graduates.
General Entry Requirements
General entry requirements are five subjects, including English Language and Mathematics at the CSEC General Proficiency Level, Grade 1 or 11 or Grade 111 (obtained since June 1998) or subjects at the GCE ‘O’ Level, Grade A, B, or C. Equivalent qualifications are accepted.
Students applying for the Early Childhood Education programme must have:
- A Science subject
- A Physical Science Subject ( Religious Education, Social Studies, History, Geography)
- Visual Arts
- NCTVET Certification ( Level 2)
Students applying for a Secondary Education programme must have obtained a Grade I or II at the CXC/CSEC General Proficiency level or a Grade A or B at GCE, in the areas in which they wish to specialize and at least three other subjects. Applicants with CAPE qualifications will have a distinct advantage in being accepted.
Students with tertiary level training may be granted exemptions where applicable.
Obtain an application form from the Students’ Affairs Office or from: Application Form
- Make payment of application fee ($700.00 non refundable) should be paid to the Accounts Department.
- Complete and return application form with proof of payment to:
- The Registrar
Students’ Affairs Office
Shortwood Teachers’ College
77 Shortwood Road
- The Registrar
Each form should be accompanied by:
- Copy of examination certificates (take originals for verification)
- Copy of birth certificate (take original for verification)
- Copy of marriage certificate where applicable (take original for verification)
- Two passport sized photographs notarised by a Justice of the Peace, Minister of Religion or Principal as being a true photograph of you.
- Two professional recommendations (originals only) obtained within the last six (6) months
- Attend an interview for which applicants must be professionally dressed
- Medical examination by college doctor
- Opening hours are 8:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m. Mondays to Fridays