To develop excellent science teachers by providing opportunities for individuals to build their careers through dedication, hard work & reflective practices.
The department of Science and Environmental Education exists:
to ensure that the overall mission, goals and objectives of the college are implemented and achieved. It does this by providing a cadre of teachers who are qualified, sensitive, insightful and committed, and are responsive to the needs and aspirations of their students. Â The department seeks to:
- deliver the highest quality Science Education and Environmental Education to its teachers who will teach at the Early Childhood, Primary, and Secondary levels of the education sector.
- develop teachers who display a high level of scientific literacy with the capabilities to initiate and encourage knowledge, science process skills and critical thinking skills in the students they will teach.
- develop teachers who are environmentally aware and equipped with the knowledge and skills to effect positive behavioural and attitudinal changes towards the environment.
- offer training in the methodology to teachers currently in the field who have not had the benefit of formal training.
- foster critical inquiry through rigorous research practices especially in relation to Science Teaching and Environmental Education.
In this present era of scientific exploration and technological advancement, education at the secondary level is incomplete without at least a basic understanding of Science concepts. There is also an increasing awareness of the responsibility we have to sustainably manage the resources in our environment. This programme is therefore designed to develop in prospective teachers of Science a knowledge of Science concepts, positive Science attitudes and practical skills, knowledge andÂ environmental considerations.
Academic Programmes Offerings
The science methods course focuses on training teachers to understand for themselves the nature of science process skills, concepts and attitudes and how to promote their development in Grade 7-11 and CAPE students. It teaches them to understand their aim and their students’ learning styles and how this relates to the learning of science concepts at specific ages. This knowledge will help them to develop skills in planning both the content and hands-on activities appropriate for their students learning styles and relevant to the Grade 7-9, CSEC and CAPE science curricula as Science for Secondary Teachers.
Emphasis will be placed on the ability to work methodically through application of the scientific process, and to present the reports of their work in a concise and organised manner. Throughout the course there are the common threads ofÂ Â technology as anÂ Â application of knowledge and of environmental considerations. The courses will be covered in seven semesters over four years, each semester culminating with an examination.
The Science subjects offered are as follows:
It is expected that at the end of the training the teacher will be competent in ONE of the subjects to be able to deliver at the CAPE level.
- Environmental Day
- Tree planting activities
- Environmental Club
Omeleta Beckford-Smith - HOD | email@example.com
Kamille Brodber - Lecturer | firstname.lastname@example.org
Joy Crooks - Lecturer | email@example.com
Miriam Clayton-Johnson - Lecturer | firstname.lastname@example.org
Conroy Hall - Lecturer | email@example.com