Routing Mathematics Through Everyday Life
The department strives for excellence in the teaching and learning of mathematics through exploration, investigation, modeling, simulation and problem solving, organized around cooperative learning experiences.
The Mathematics Department is committed to the preparation of Mathematics teachers of the highest quality by actively engaging them in learning, modeling best pedagogical practices, using appropriate technology, and fostering a healthy productive learning environment in all learning experiences.
The department is committed to sustaining excellence in all its teaching and learning experiences as well as fostering an ethos of collegiality and purposeful work. The department achieves this mission by:
- Providing students with the opportunity to acquire knowledge and useful skills.
- Encouraging and promoting responsible attitudes and sound leadership qualities.
- Fostering a firm commitment to the teaching profession and an adherence to the highest standards of professional conduct.
- Facilitating the development of ideals of love and loyalty to Jamaica and promoting zeal for nation building
- Ensuring that all department members are given the opportunity as far as possible to pursue their professional development goals.
- Promoting in all members of the department an appreciation of the need for spiritual, emotional and social growth.
- Providing an appropriate environment for ongoing development, growth and advancement of institutional and departmental goals.
Shortwood Teachers’ College Mathematics Department is committed to the preparation of Mathematics teachers of the highest quality by actively engaging them in learning, modeling best pedagogical practices, using of appropriate technology, and fostering a healthy productive learning environment in all learning experiences. The department is committed to sustaining excellence in all its teaching and learning experiences as well as a fostering an ethos of collegiality and purposeful work.
In relation to our student and other clients, we will:
- exceed clients’ expectation.
- meet commitments to clients.
In engendering Team work, we will:
- communicate team goals and acknowledge accomplishments.
- work collectively to solve problems. We all win when the team wins.
Professional growth, we will:
- relentlessly pursue professional excellence.
- foster improvement through lifelong learning.
- continuously evaluate the way we do things.
The department emphasizes teaching excellence as its primary goal. Our main objectives are to provide for students an appreciation for mathematics and its application to other discipline, to encourage higher order thinking and problem solving skills, and to prepare students for further study and employment.
As a core discipline in the arts and science, mathematics is to produce relevant research, and to provide quality service to the community. We further are committed to maintenance of a well-designed curriculum and a supportive environment for our students. It does this by providing a cadre of staff who are qualified, committed and able to deliver a curriculum that is responsive to the needs and aspirations of its students.
Specialization and Professional Courses
Advanced Credit Programme